Thursday 7 April 2011

Thriller: Evaluation Question 1 - In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?


From my list of thriller opening conventions: ,

-Tracking shots

-Close-ups

-Shadows

-Close-ups

-Non-diagetic sound

-Low-key lighting

-Common setting

-A victim involved.



I can see what I have included and why. I have used the camera movement conventions I have found which are tracking shots and pan shots, I have used tracking shots in several parts of my opening sequence, such as in the part when Tom wakes up from the bed and then walks to the window to check the blinds and also the part when Tom walks into the kitchen.






I have used shadows to create the sense of mystery in one part of my opening. The effect this has on the scene is that it make it seem more mysterious, the audience will be affected as the scene is disturbing, as there is also blood on the table.


<<<<<<



When framing the shots I have included close-ups, to show the facial expressions in the second part of my opening and in the first part when the man is putting on the gloves. I have decided to do close-ups because the audience can see what is happening, and see the facial expressions on the characters face. The image on the side < Shows the scene when Tom is waking up and he is shoked it was just a dream.




I have used non-diegetic music because this is a convention to thrillers which make the thriller itself seem abnormal not everyday, for example in my film when Tom was in the kitchen there were that sounds he could not hear. I used royalty free music from a site called Incompetech. I found it easy to look through different genres of music and hear them as I went along and the sounds I chose fitted my theam and my video, for the first part of my video I wanted to add music that sounded like the opening of US TV series Dexter, one of the videos I analysed.






The sounds are typical to this genre, and the build-up of sound in places increases the tension. The volume increases when some actions on screen have been done, so the audience feel on the edge as something is going to happen, this add to the mysterious effect I tried to create in my film.


In the first scene I used low key lighting to add mystery to the setting. The setting is a make-shift kill room as the ones Dexter used in the TV series I have analysed.




I have used a common setting/ location; this is to enable the audience to empathise with the victim because of the place he lives. The location I have chosen is a house a middle-class looking house that anyone could live in.




A victim character is used as in most thrillers. I think that I have portrayed the victim as vulnerable as he can not do any thing to prevent what is going to happen to him. I made him seem vulnerable by using high angle shots, making him seem smaller than what he really is.


No comments:

Post a Comment